As you guys might have noticed on Instagram, I’ve been doing a 5 day Juice Cleanse last week and today I’m going to talk about this experience.
I first heard about detoxing many years ago, when the whole thing hadn’t experienced such a hype, but my parents used to juice and included ”detoxing” juices in their diet. I can remember that I had to drink freshly pressed juices nearly every day and absolutely loved them. I’ve been including juice days into my diet the past few years when I felt weak and tired or started to feel ill, but I’ve never tried to drink juices for 5 days.
You might be tired of hearing everyone talking about detoxing and juice cleanses, but I still want you to share my personal experience with juice cleansing enriched with a few facts about this heathy trend.Juice cleanses made from raw fruits and veggies are a great ”detoxing diet” option for a few days, but definitely not for longer than 10 days.
If you are feeling bloated, sluggish, tired, dependent on caffeine and have cravings for junk food quite often, a juice cleanse can be a perfect way to eliminate these symptoms. When you eliminate toxins from your system, your entire body feels better and reacts both internally and externally.
So what motivated me to start a 5 day juice cleanse:
SKIN – I don’t have the clearest skin & impurities make my skin look uneven. I’ve tried like everything in the past few years, and there are phases when my skin is bright and clear and phases when my face just looks like a ”streuselkuchen”. I always try to make little adjustments and try out new things that may have a positive effect on my skin. It’s said that one of the beneficial effects of detoxing is clear, glowy, fresh skin and shiny hair! Doesn’t this sound convincing enough!?
ENERGY – Lately I’ve been feeling quite tired and exhausted, just like a typical winter tiredness caused by the weather. It’s said that people feel much more energetic at the end of a detox cure.
WEIGHT LOSS – I am fine with my body and weight, but of course I liked the thought of dropping a pound or two. Well, I know some of you might be thinking ”oh my, she is thin enough and should better gain one”, but hey, I’m just not lying ;)
Well, there are lots of pros and contras about detoxing, but I think the best way to form an opinions is to experience it on your own. A word and a blow! So I dived into my first 5 day juice detox experience with SLIM TIM last Tuesday.
SLIM TIM is a detox & juice company based in Vienna. They offer different 3 different juice cleanse boxes, ”EASY CLEANSE”, ”CLASSIC CLEANSE” & ”PERFECT CLEANSE” and you can choose between a 3,5,7 or 10 day cure.
I opted for the ”CLASSIC CLEANSE” 5 day cure, as this combination of juices (doesn’t only include green juices, but a mix of two fruitier ones, 2 green ones and one almond milk) seemed to suit me and my marathon training best.
The whole cure consists of 25 juices (500ml each) and 5 almond milks (250ml each). SLIM TIM provides you with juices for the first 3 days on day 1 of your cure and another delivery of juices on day 3 for your final 2 days.
Throughout the cleanse process, I documented what I was feeling and going through just so I could share my experience with all of you my lovely readers. Without further ado, here is my 5-day detox diary….
- I decided to do the juice cleanse during my marathon training, which might not have been the brightest idea, so I chose a week in which my training stint wasn’t at maximum.
- Before you start detoxing, you should prepare your body by taking alcohol, coffee, gluten, dairy products & sugar out of your diet and then it’s the best to eat a mostly vegan diet for three days before the cleanse, as well as the three days afterwards. So…
- I stocked up on fruits and veggies, vegetable soup, lentils, and even started juicing my own green juices to get my palette accustomed to the taste. I weaned myself off of my morning coffee and opted for green tea instead.
- I also made sure that the day before I started was my training free day and that I get 8 hours of sleep the night before I started my cleanse so I wouldn’t feel tired or groggy.
- I started my day by waking up at 6am and had my first cup of tea and warm lemon water. At around 10 my first delivery from SLIM TIM arrived and I officially started my detox cure.
- My first juice was a delicious blend of apples, pineapple, mango, grapefruit and ginger, called GINGER KICK. This gave me tons of energy and I didn’t even miss my cup of coffee.
- By about 3pm, my energy levels were starting to crash a bit and as it was my sisters birthday and everyone was eating birthday cake and other good stuff it was quite har, but I satisfied myself with a super yummy green juice.
- I felt pretty darn good this evening. My eyesight was clearer and I felt really proud of myself for not succumbing to my sister’s birthday cake.(my favorite dark chocolate, gluten free cake).
- This day actually wasn’t hard for me and as I didn’t feel hungry nearly most of the time, I wasn’t able to drink all 5 juices, well the miste loved that fact and had 2 for dinner;) I made sure to finish my last juice (which actually wasn’t a juice but almond milk) 2 hours before I settled in for bed. This almond milk tastes heavenly and made me feel full and satisfied.
- On day 2, I woke up before my alarm even went off feeling super refreshed and rejuvenated. I started my day with a juice called ”MAGIC BOOSTER”, and instead of craving coffee or breakfast, I was excited to start my day with this super yummy & refreshing juice.
- I figured out how to space out my juices perfectly. I learned from day 1 that I should drink one juice every 2 hours in order to have my last one finished 2 hours before I went to sleep. I enjoyed the taste of the fruits and veggies even more on the second day. I also noticed that my taste buds were more in-tune to the flavors that popped out in the different juices.
- At the beginning of my first training session I felt pretty good, but after running for about 5 kilometers I started to feel tired and while training my abs every single sit-up felt like pure torture.
- After my workout I felt pretty hungry and was craving for food, nothing the yummiest almond milk on earth can’t fix:)
- I woke up on day 3 feeling rested, my skin was glowing, my eyes were sparkling, and I felt light and lean. But at around 11 after my second juice I felt like a truck hit me. My head was spinning and my body felt totally chilled.
- My Interval training session, felt like the worst training session in ages, but skipping my training wasn’t an option.
- That evening, I had no late-night cravings and I felt satisfied by my evening juices.
- I woke up excited because I felt that my headache and chilly feeling was totally gone and my body had finally adopted tho this whole juicing and detoxing thing.
- I also felt way better during my training session and it seemed like I was getting my power back
- I again woke up before the alarm clock rang and felt totally rested and rejuvenated. This day was totally easy and uncomplicated. I only drank 2 juices that day, as I had to prepare my body for my 30k long run the day after. The mister again was quite thrilled by that fact as he got the chance of doing a total 2 days of detoxing with my juices that were left from my detox cure.That evening I cooked a chicken soup with lots of veggies and cuddled up on the couch with the mister
- I felt so good after I completed my cleanse, and I even continued to drink juices in the morning for a few days afterwards. I back to my regular,healthy, gluten free diet the day after. But I definitely felt cleaner and gained a sense of accomplishment.
Pros & Cons: Now that you’ve read my detox diary, here are some of the good and bad things I learned from my cleanse.
- Working out is difficult. It was the hardest training week in ages and I really had to push myself to the limits to get my training sessions done. Note to myself – never ever do a juice detox during your strikt marathon training again!
- Cleansing is not a solution for long-term weight loss. If you are looking to shed a few pounds permanently, then a juice cleanse is not the answer. Drinking juice all day might help you to loose some water weight, but you might gain those pounds back post-cleanse when your body starts retaining calories from solid food again. Instead, try to stick to a healthy diet all year long and do a detox cure to fell fresher and rejuvenated.
- I have never felt so hydrated! When I wasn’t drinking one of my juices, I was drinking a ton of herbal tea and water. I drank about 2 liters of water and tea every day plus the juices. Nothing better to flush out toxins. This probably has a lot to do with the glow I saw in my skin.
- Cleansing gives your body a rest from digestion.Our bodies are used to breaking down and digesting food all day, every day, for years and years. So once in a while, it’s nice to give your body a break by only consuming nutrient-rich fluids. Especially if you are a junk food junkie, a cleanse will help reset your system and flush out tons of toxins.
- Because most bottled, pressed juice cleanses use fruit juice along with vegetable juice, I found that I wanted nothing to do with sweets when I finished day 3 of my cleanse. My sugar cravings were gone and when I tried something sweet I was totally satisfied after the 2nd bite.
- One of the biggest benefits I found from completing my cleanse was that my skin looks clearer and much more even now and that I’ve got my normal energy back. The feeling of exhaustion and tiredness is totally gone since day 4 of my juice cure. I continued to replace my morning coffee with green juices and green tea. Overall, my juice cleanse was a positive experience for me and I plan on trying one again at the beginning of summer.
But enough about me! Let’s hear what you have to say…
Have you ever tried a juice cleanse? If you have, what was your experience? If not, is it something you would be willing to try?