So finally here is the long requested recipe for my ”skinny” cinnamon buns. Sorry, for the delay, but the past few days have been quite stressful and other projects had to be finished first. Don’t we all love cinnamon rolls or cinnamon buns?! Normally they come with a lot of sugar and as real sugar bombs. So for my “the18thdistrict fitfam” I’ve tried to make a healthier version.
Let’s start by making a super easy, yeast free (isn’t this amazing) dough by mixing glutenfree flour, salt, and baking powder with applesauce. If low fat isn’t your groove, you can totally use butter or a vegan substitute. You can even use grapeseed oil or coconut oil, it’s your choice! After adding the liquid, knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it comes together, and turn it out on a lightly floured surface.
- 260 grams of gluten free flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons applesauce, butter, or coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Sukrin Gold, Stevia or Birkengold
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200degrees. Grease a pie pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut the applesauce, butter, or coconut oil into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Chill for ten minutes.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the Sukrin Gold or any other sweetener and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- After the ten minutes, fetch the bowl from the fridge and add in the unsweetened almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and 3 tablespoons of Sukrin Gorld or any other sweetener you are using and stir until combined, making sure not to overwork the dough. If the dough is too dry to incorporate all the flour, add in one more tablespoon of almond milk. Turn out the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface and knead 4 times. Again, make sure not to overwork the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a large rectangle of ¼ inch thickness. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon melted butter or coconut oil. Evenly sprinkle the Sukrin Gold / cinnamon mixture over the dough. Starting with the long side, gently roll the dough up into a log. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into equal rolls. Place the rolls into the pie pan and bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of honey with cinnamon and a little bit of water and sprinkle it over the cinnamon rolls & enjoy!